Graduate of the Conservatory of Music and Dramatic Arts in Bucharest (class of 1946), and of the Architecture Institute (class of 1949). He made his debut as an actor in 1945 at the Small Theatre. Though in the early '50 he makes his debut in film as an actor and production designer, and then as a director, the theatre remains his main preoccupation and vocation. He made his debut as a stage director with the play “The Rainmaker” written by Richard Nash, at the Municipal Theatre (Bulandra Theatre) in 1957. He was the artistic director of the Bulandra Theatre between 1963 and 1974, when he was removed after the communist censorship banned the performance of “The Government Inspector” written by Nikolai Gogol and directed by Lucian Pintilie. In 1974 he made his American debut at the Arena Stage in Washington. He lves Romania in 1980 and from 1986 he taught directing at Columbia University, then acting at the New York University in New York. He became an Honorary Member of the Romanian Order of Architects in 2006.